|Forum Home > The Woman at the Well...today > 8 STEPS TO GET CLOSER TO GOD|
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and He will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask Him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. James 1:5-6 NLT
I clung to this verse when I first accepted Christ into my life. There were no bells and whistles. In fact, I struggled the first 10 years, as a Christian. My thought process was the same as when I wasn’t a Christian, and I still struggled with the same old bad, sinful habits and ways.
You may find it difficult to stay focused on His Word. Maybe you hear some of the same voices in your head screaming ugly, vile things, such as, You’ll never be good enough to earn God’s love and acceptance. You’re crazy. You just don’t get it, and you never will. You don’t have to be led by the lies that feelings often bring. What you feel is what you feel, but know that your feelings aren’t always true.
For instance, God says He loves you and He will never leave you nor forsake you. You may feel He has abandoned you, but the truth of that is in Jeremiah 31:3, I have loved you, my people, with an everlasting love. With unfailing love, I have drawn you to myself. And in Hebrews 13:5, I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.
Isn’t it better to believe on the truth than on the lie?
I would like to pass along these simple steps to take to get closer to God:
1. Read your Bible daily.
2. Pray (without ceasing) – have an attitude of prayer. Pray to yourself when you talk to someone in person or on the phone. Lord, help me to say the right thing. Thank Him for every good thing that comes your way. A quick help, or thank you, can be sufficient. Do not forget to thank Him for your food, clothes, housing, car, job, husband (yes!), parents, and children. Find something in all of these to thank Him.
3. Make sure you have a quiet time with the Lord. This is a place where you will be free of distractions. No phones, no computers, and no children. You may have to sit on the potty behind locked doors for 10 minutes a day. It that’s what it takes, then so be it.
4. Wait quietly for the Lord to speak to your heart. Don’t just jump up from your prayer time. Wait quietly for the Lord to speak to speak to your heart. Make a note of them. Meditate on them. How do they apply to your situation? Write them on your index cards.
5. Read a Proverb a day. There are 31—one for each day of the month. These taught me how to respond to certain situations in life. Great wisdom in the proverbs.
6. Sing songs of praise from the psalms. If you can carry a tune, praise the Lord. If you can only make a “joyful noise,” praise the Lord.
7. Play worship music; music ministers to the soul. Many worship song will bring tears of joy to our eyes.
8. The Bible is the sword of the spirit—use it!
In His Love,